Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Racism and the consulate

http://www.idahopress.com/news/?id=3986

I was brushing up on local politics and issues when I read about the Mexican government thinking of opening a consulate here in Boise. Was intrigued and wondered why we needed one here. I am not opposed to the Mexican government putting one here, I guess I just didn't know exactly what a consulate is used for. I also wondered why Congressman Bill Sali was against it. The first thoughts that came to my mind were thoughts of supposed racism. In the article, it explained why Sali came out against the consulate and I was still thinking racism. And then it clicked. Although a consulate can provide services to Mexican citizens who are visiting the United States, they also aid illegal immigrants start and continue their lives in the United States. Sali is a vocal anti-illegal immigration advocate and is willing to speak out against shady maneuvers that would aid illegal immigration.

I hope that this doesn't start a fire storm of political correctness. A lot of people see Idaho as redneck and racist and while we may still have those pockets within our great state, I believe our state has a lot more common sense than anyone gives us credit for. I can bet that many people across the Treasure Valley are upset about this and they have every right to be. Our country needs safe and secure borders and an environment that says that although we respect your rights as humans, we also would like you to respect our laws. The Mexican consulate is a bad idea and I'm not sure how to stop something like from coming to our city. I don't feel that we should allow illegal immigrants to come into this great land and feel coddled and accepted by the masses. I applaud Mr. Sali and those whose are against this development for the right reason, and hope that the voice of reason will be heard and applied in this case.

-Red Alert

No comments: